Monday, June 7, 2010

From Valhalla to Bali Ha’i

Observations by Barbara Casey

If The Ring is the apogee of operatic artistry, South Pacific is at the top of American musical theatre. In my book. And certainly as brought to glorious and touching life in the new production at the Music Center’s Ahmanson Theatre. After three evenings of The Ring, it was only a brief interlude to sit through the two acts of South Pacific and what a delicious morsel it was sandwiched between Siegfried and Gotterdammerung.


Is there another musical in American theatre history where most of the audience can sing every song? It’s really hard to choose which is your greatest favorite. And the show hits you with one incredible song after another as you first thrill to Cockeyed Optimist and Some Enchanted Evening and then move to the Seabees singing Bloody Mary and There Is Nothin’ Like A Dame and on to Bali Ha’I and then that showstopper, I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair. The directing in this production is perfection and the choreography is delightfully pure and simple. I liked Rod Gilfry as Emile de Becque. After heard him at LA Opera previously, it was fun to see him as a leading man and of course the man can sing. While Some Enchanted Evening brought bravos from the audience, my favorite was This Nearly Was Mine – particularly the verses he sang very quietly and poignantly. In fact, there was much poignancy in this show. Much of this was due to the brilliant performance of Carmen Cusack. She embodies Nellie Forbush so completely that her reprise of Some Enchanted Evening as she worries that Emile will die before she can tell him she loves him and his children that I and my theatre companions were moved to tears.


Seeing South Pacific in today’s wartime environment was also moving. The courage, humor and caring of the Seabees and Marines in the show struck me as truly the qualities of US soldiers always including those serving in our military today. The show did not sugarcoat the dangers of war nor of racism – You’ve Got To Be Carefully Taught struck a chord in me as it always does when I hear it, causing me to ponder what I might have taught my child that perhaps now I wish I hadn’t. Go to South Pacific – there were far too many empty seats on Friday night and this production deserves a full house every night. There are just too few times you leave the theatre singing all the tunes and discussing the serious issues raised.